Sunday, July 18, 2010

Modelling - Plaster Walls 2

Ok so everything in blender seems to start with a box and it needs to grow from there.  I will start by turning the box into a square and then turning it into the outline of the wall.  This will be done with the following keys:
b - box select also can select using the right mouse button
x - delete
g - grab (to move things around) (also if you press the middle mouse button it will lock into an axis)
e - extrude (followed by a number to get more accurate information)

I like to have the edge lengths displayed.  In 2.49 you did this in the mesh setting.  In 2.5 I had to click View/Properties/Mesh Display/Numerics/Edge Lengths.  Then I got this view:
So I've been using a lot of the scroll wheel to move in and out and the shift and central mouse button to pan around.

Also to copy some stuff to make it easier I pressed shift D.  I then also selected two nodes and clicked F to fill between the elements to check that the dimension that I added was OK.

I have also been using the numpad keys.  1 - looks front on and 7 from top perspective.  The direction that you look from when you do things in blender also appears to be important.

Here is the outline of the walls.:
 Now I will add elements for where the windows are cut out, doors, etc.  I will then be able to delete them once I extrude up.

I tried to do a remove doubles (press W and select remove doubles) however this did not seem to do anything.  The previous version used to let you know how many duplicate nodes were removed.  I also did some subdivisions where you need to press W and then select subdivide.  This let me find the middle of the double doors etc.

OK so here are the solid walls:
Now I will just delete the window and door cavities.

Whoops, this didn't really work.  I am left with a lot of extra bits.  I think I will actually drop it back down and delete and copy the right bits.

That's better.  Walls and windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment